Embark on a journey to explore the historic Boyd's Tower on the Sapphire Coast, a testament to the adventures of Scottish entrepreneur Benjamin Boyd in the mid-1800s. Named after Boyd, the tower was originally intended as a lighthouse but found its purpose as a whale-watching lookout. Discover the allure of this iconic structure through a gentle 800m loop walk that provides insights into Boyd's fascination with the NSW coast.
Exploring Boyd's Tower:
- Historical Significance: Boyd's Tower, part of the national park on the Sapphire Coast, reflects the endeavours of Benjamin Boyd, who sailed into Australian waters aboard a luxury yacht. Learn about his exploration and the tower's intriguing history as you follow the 800m loop walk.
- Whale-Watching Lookout: Along the route, encounter multiple lookouts offering panoramic views of Twofold Bay. The scenery is enchanting year-round, but it becomes particularly captivating during whale-watching season (June through November). Witness humpbacks engaging in ocean acrobatics alongside resident dolphins.
- Picnic Enjoyment: Although the official trail is short, consider making a day of your visit. Bring a picnic lunch to savour in the informal picnic area, surrounded by the natural beauty of the Sapphire Coast.
Accessibility and Features:
- Wheelchair-Accessible Track: Explore Boyd's Tower with ease using the 350m wheelchair-accessible bitumen track. This path, with a lay-by, winds through melaleuca trees, providing a comfortable and inclusive experience for all visitors.
- Boardwalk and Lookouts: Follow a wheelchair-accessible boardwalk that extends behind the tower, leading to a lookout with stunning views over Twofold Bay. Delight in the scenic beauty and appreciate the historical significance of this iconic structure.
- Historic Details: Take a closer look at Boyd's Tower to observe a missing section displaced by lightning. Marvel at the craftsmanship and notice Boyd's name inscribed at the crest, adding an extra layer of historical intrigue to your visit.
- Ocean Safety Tips: Be aware that strong rips and currents may be present at the nearby beach. Exercise caution when in the water and ensure the supervision of children at all times.
If you visit during whale-watching season, you're in for a treat. Observe these majestic creatures performing their ocean acrobatics in Twofold Bay, adding a memorable touch to your exploration of Boyd's Tower.
Boyd's Tower stands as a historical landmark and a prime spot for appreciating the natural beauty of the Sapphire Coast. Whether you're interested in history, breathtaking views, or the wonders of marine life, this destination has something to offer for every visitor.